Main Navigation

On the Move? 5 Tips To Keep Calm and Cover Your Belongings


The summer months are traditionally the times for home purchases and moves.  Ease your stress levels and ensure uninterrupted protection by letting us know about your plans ahead.  With a little proactive planning, we can help make your “moving protection” quick and easy.



1.  Buying a house?  Tell us as soon as possible.

As soon as you are serious about your new home purchase and have a real estate agent and lender in place, let us know about your intentions.  We can keep your and their information on file and once you put a bid down, we can avoid lengthy phone tags to request your permission to release information.

Give us the new home’s address and we’ll prepare an insurance proposal that can be accessed quickly and ensure a swift turn-around on binder requests.

2. Reserve the Moving Van

Both our team members Laura and Erin moved locally to new homes this month, and both found out the hard way:  In summer, it’s near impossible to rent a moving truck on short notice!  Make a reservation as early as possible (and cancel / re-schedule if necessary) and always buy the rental company’s insurance.  Even though your auto liability will extend, there is no coverage for damage to the rented moving truck because it doesn’t fit the description of “private passenger auto” that limits a standard personal auto insurance policy.

3. 30 Days is the Word

As you transition from old home to new, keep on mind that there is generally a 30 day contractual period that covers your belongings as they are moved from one house to the next, assuming that you haven’t cancelled the policy on your former residence.  After that, you (and all your items) should be out of the old home, and in the new home.  If this isn’t going to be the case, make sure that you talk with your agent to find an appropriate insurance strategy that doesn’t leave you with serious gaps in your protection.

4. Renter’s Proof of Insurance Needed?  We Can Help!

Most town home and apartment complexes require proof of renter’s insurance as part of their lease agreement.  With good reason:  Many tenants are under the (false) impression that the landlord’s Fire Insurance Policy will cover their belongings in case of a loss.  That’s not true!  The landlord’s policy covers damage to the structure of the building and, at times, to built-in furniture and appliances, but it does not extend to a tenant’s personal property.  In case of a fire or water loss or burglary, you, the tenant, are responsible to replace your belongings.

Worse, if you caused the loss due to negligence, you can be held liable for the loss.

Renter’s insurance includes liability and personal property coverage, and is very affordable! In fact, if you package renter’s and car insurance with the same company, the resulting “multi-policy discount” usually offsets a major portion of the cost of renters insurance.

We can help with proof of insurance.  Call us today!

5. College-Bound?  Call Us!

If you are a college student on the move (or the parent of one), be sure to give us a call before you get on your way:  Parents’ insurance protection may extend to a student away at college, but it may be wise for students to have their individual renter’s or car insurance policy depending on the family’s situation.  Take a moment to talk to your agent to find the best solution for you.

Start Quote Call/Text Claims Payments
Skip to content