What should I know about insurance when I graduate?


Congrats Grad!

Congratulations! Graduating college is a significant milestone in your life. One that will bring on many new and exciting life changes involving work, money, living space and possessions.

As you seek out new ventures, one thing you’ll need is insurance. And one thing you’ll want is good insurance, reasonably priced from a knowledgeable advisor.

There are two types of insurance you’ll want to consider after college graduation:

  1. Auto
  2. Renter’s

Auto Insurance for College Grads

While in college, you were probably on your parent’s auto policy. That’s because their policy covered resident relatives. However, when you graduate and move out of your parents home into your own apartment, your parents’ home is no longer your main residence (and you are no longer a ‘resident relative.’)

That means that you need to get your own auto insurance policy.  (The same is true if you buy a car and hold the title to your own vehicle. In this case, you’re no longer covered on your parents’ auto policy.)

Another reality is that your auto insurance needs are different than your parents. For example, they might be financially able to have a large deductible on their policy. But that might not be best for you right now.

Now is the time to call McClain Insurance. Because we represent a wide variety of insurance companies, you’ll have many options choose from. You can also get the process started online right here on our website.

Start Auto Quote

Also, auto insurers offer discounts. You can bet we’ll hunt every one of them down for you.

Options and Discounts. McClain Insurance will present all of them to you. We’ll make sure you get the best auto policy coverage value for the least amount of money.

Renters Insurance for College Grads

Now, you are officially a graduate.  You might already have secured a job, and you’ll likely move out of the family home (Not just for the school year. This time it’s permanent.)

That means you need renter’s insurance.  For one, most landlords require “proof of insurance” before you sign the lease.  But also, perhaps more importantly, renter’s Insurance covers your belongings (clothing, books, CDs, furniture- everything) not only in your apartment but in your locked car and anywhere else you take them. It protects your property against fire and other occurrences beyond your control—including vandalism and theft.

You may not think that you own much, but the reality is: Stuff adds up quick!  Every spoon, sock and washcloth needs to be replaced in case of a total loss – and replacing an entire household’s worth of items can be expensive.  And then, of course, there are the high-value items that we think of first when we think about our home:

  • TV
  • Laptop or PC
  • Printer
  • DVD Player
  • IPod and other music players
  • Cell Phone
  • Game systems
  • Furniture and decor
  • Microwave and other kitchen appliances
  • Watch / Jewelry

Many new tenants falsely believe that insurance is the responsibility of the landlord. It’s not. The landlord’s policy covers the building only. It’s a renter’s policy that will help pay for the replacement of all your personal items.

It will also pay for an attorney and protect you in case someone gets injured while in your apartment and/or you get sued if damage caused by you impacts neighboring apartments.

In fact, the liability part of the policy will protect you from any claims against your actions if you accidentally harm another person or damage their property.

McClain Insurance will give you peace of mind about your belongings and your liability. We’ll help you sort it all out. As with auto insurance, we’re big on discounts. We’ll make sure you get them.

McClain Insurance can help with your Renters Coverage. Because we represent a wide variety of insurance companies, you’ll have many options choose from. You can also get the process started online right here on our website.

Start Renters Quote



One Insurance Source

When you make the transition from college to “real-life,” everything changes.

Now you’re responsible for protecting yourself and your family….

Your choices are difficult and you need an expert on your side. Don’t fool yourself and pretend you know insurance. It can be complicated business. Plus, your needs can constantly change as your life changes.

Work with someone who specializes in insuring Washington College Graduates. Contact us at McClain Insurance today.

We’re your one stop insurance shop – quick, easy and hassle-free.

* Please Note:  Insurance policies vary from company to company and from State to State.  Not every Washington State insurance policy will include every coverage described above.  Be sure to read your policy and check with your insurance agent for personalized information.

Connect with us on Facebook

Contact Us

McClain Insurance Services
10410 19th Ave SE
Everett, WA 98208
(425) 379-9200
Start Quote Call/Text Claims Payments