Teen Will Drive Soon
Consider what happened to this new driver as first seen in the McClain Insurance Teen Driver Zone Newsletter:
“Shortly after I got my license, I rear ended someone at 20 mph. I was changing the radio station in my car. And to this day I can’t explain how the other driver was able to stop so fast.
Luckily, no one was hurt. But I haven’t changed the radio while driving since.” Nick.
Substitute talking on a cell phone, texting or changing songs on an IPOD and you have a few of the mistakes teen drivers can make while driving.
Teen Age Driver Statistics
Here are some statistics regarding teen drivers in Washington:
- Two thirds of all teenage deaths in Washington result from car crashes
- Per mile driven, drivers in the 16-19 are four times more likely than older drivers to crash.
- Over 40% of teen motor vehicle deaths occur between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
- The presence of teen passengers increases the crash risk for teen drivers.
- Speeding and following too close are the two biggest reasons for teenage crashes
Driver Education in Washington
In response to these and other statistics, Washington changed and strengthened driver license requirements.
Currently, 50 hours (including 10 night hours) of supervised driving practice through a licensed school with certified instructors, are required to get a driver’s license.
However, strengthened though they may be, Washington restrictions still fall behind the recommended standard from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
In fact, experts recommend not 50 but 100 hours of supervised driving time. Contact McClain Insurance for a free booklet on the best approach to take while teaching your teenager how to drive.
Protect Your Assets with an Umbrella Policy
What if your teen gets into an accident and the other driver sues for more than your auto policy limits?
You may want to consider discussing the benefits of having a Personal Umbrella Policy (PUP) with a McClain Insurance representative.
If you’re ever sued, your auto policy will provide you with liability coverage including attorney’s fees and judgments up to the policy limit.
But in a litigious society like ours, that may not be enough. PUP coverage kicks in after you reach the limit on your underlying auto policy.
McClain insurance can help explain how this important coverage can protect assets that you’ve built up over the years.
Start Umbrella Quote Here
Teen Driver Monitoring System
Have you ever wondered how your teen drives when you’re not around? Is he or she obeying traffic rules and driving defensively? Is he or she where they claim they are?
These are questions that create worry lines for parents.
There are three ways you can monitor your teen:
- Place one of those “How am I Driving?” decals on the car. The decal includes a phone number. The company provides you detailed reports on any calls.
- Install a GPS device on your car. Then log onto the internet to always know where your teen is and the driving speed. Other available features include ignition disabler’s and remote door locks/unlocks.
- Draw up a contract between yourself and your teen. The contract would spell out driving rules you both agree to.
If you’re considering this route, McClain Insurance can help you sort out the options and prevent too much worrying.
Insurance Friendly Cars for Teens
Your teen wants a car. After reviewing grades, behavior, driving habits, you decide it’s time but that the car will be in your name and your teen will be on your policy.
You know it’s not only the car model you have to consider. You also have to think about the impact the car will have on your auto insurance.
Insurance companies rate vehicles in different categories. For example, they may rate them for:
If the damage and theft car scores are good, the collision and comprehensive insurance costs will be lower than other cars.
If the liability portion scores well, you’ll pay less for the bodily injury and property damage liability portion of your policy.
Because they represent many different companies, your McClain Insurance person can help you make the right decision when buying that first car for your teenager.
Find an Insurance Pro Who Knows Discounts!
In addition to helping point out how different cars can affect your car insurance, McClain Insurance will help you find auto insurance discounts. They’re out there, even with a teenager on the policy.
Some discounts include:
- Accident Free
- Good Student
- Driver Training
- Safe Driver
Insurance companies price differently and because McClain Insurance represents several of them, they know all of the discounts.
They’ll make sure you do too.
Would you like a quote for your teen driver? Because we represent a wide variety of insurance companies, you’ll have many options choose from. You can also get the process started online right here on our website.
Start Auto Quote
* Please Note: Insurance policies vary from company to company and from State to State. Not every Washington State insurance policy will include every coverage described above. Be sure to read your policy and check with your insurance agent for personalized information.